Loughborough University offers a unique rugby playing opportunity with a complete rugby pathway from participation through to the professional game. Loughborough Students RFC is a student-based rugby club made up of around 150 players that compete over 5 competitions:
- – RFU National 1
- – BUCS Super Rugby
- – BUCS Premier North A
- – BUCS Premier North B
- – BUCS Midlands 3B
Our performance teams compete in RFU National 1 (Tier 3) and in BUCS Super Rugby, the top tier of University rugby. Our 3rd and 4th XV also compete in the 2nd and 3rd tiers of university rugby respectively, whilst our 5th XV continues to work up the university leagues.
The rugby programme benefits from formal partnerships with England 7s, the RFU and most recently Leicester Tigers, which enhances our ability to provide a professional rugby environment where players can reach their full potential.
As a performance squad player you will receive:
- – Expert and specialist coaching
- – Access to our world-class facilities including an Elite Powerbase Gym membership
- – Individualised strength and conditioning coaching
- – Extensive sport medicine support that includes devoted rugby physiotherapy practitioners
- – Sports science support through training load management and rehabilitation
- – Sophisticated performance analysis
- – An individual development plan that is reviewed monthly with our coaches.
A normal training week includes:
- – 1 match (Saturday or Wednesday)
- – 3 team rugby sessions
- – Additional units and skills sessions
- – Video analysis
- – Strength and Conditioning
- – Massage and Physiotherapy
Leading the Men’s Rugby Programme is Head Coach Gerard Mullen who is supported by Coach Gareth Harris. Both are retired professional players who have since gained extensive experience coaching both at Loughborough and in the National Leagues. The club’s partnership with Leicester Tigers includes further coaching support in the form of Richard Blaze and Boris Stankovic, Premiership winning players/coaches.
Every year, our most talented leavers go on to sign professional contracts for Championship and Premiership teams. Notable alumni include:
– Harry Williams – England and Exeter Chiefs – Phil Burgess – England 7s and GB 7s
– Alex Davis – England 7s
– Henry Taylor – Saracens
– Harry Elrington – London Irish
– James Freeman – Exeter Chiefs
– Ben Kay – Leicester Tigers and England – Sir Clive Woodward – Leicester Tigers, England and British and Irish Lions. 2003 World Cup winning coach
In addition to the substantial support available to players we also offer Sports Scholarships to our most talented athletes to help ease the financial pressure of university and to help maximise their sporting and academic potential.
Please see www.loughboroughsport.com/scholarships-programme/ for more information or please contact Ruth Goodfield, Sports Scholarship Manager, v. email@example.com; +44 1509 226108